Is the United States of America (U.S.A.) in Bible Prophecy?
Today, the USA. is the world’s only superpower and she dominates peoples and nations through economic, political and military power.
Prophecies, in Daniel and Revelation, indicate that the Antichrist and his kingdom will dominate the whole world, economically, politically and militarily, during the final years of the Time of the End. This means that there will be a change in superpowers before the End of the Age.
Daniel described the kingdom of the Antichrist as a beast with 10 kings. Daniel wrote that the Antichrist will arise from among the ten kings and he will subdue three of the kings. Then the Antichrist and his kingdom will have 7 kings and 10 kingdoms, in other words it will be a kingdom with "7 heads and 10 horns."
In Revelation, chapters 13 and 17, John identifies the kingdom of the Antichrist as the beast which has “7 heads and 10 horns.” A horn in Bible prophecy can signify a king or a kingdom. This means the 10 nation kingdom of the Antichrist will ultimately have 7 leaders, thus the expression “7 heads and 10 horns.”
Daniel 11 indicates that the Antichrist will successfully attack the "mightiest fortresses" with the help of a foreign power. By defeating the mightiest fortresses, the beast kingdom and the Antichrist will then dominate the world until the End of the Age.
In Revelation 17, John writes that the beast with “7 heads and 10 horns” will destroy a superpower titled “Mystery Babylon the Great.” In Revelation 17 and 18 John describes this superpower as one who sits on (dominates) peoples, multitudes, nations and languages of the world. John writes that the superpower is also a great city that rules over the kings of the earth. Daniel and John both write that the kingdom of the Antichrist will rise to power by defeating an existing superpower.
In Revelation 17 and 18, God calls this superpower “Mystery Babylon the Great” and describes her.
Description of "Mystery Babylon the Great"
- She is called a prostitute. God refers to his people as a prostitute when they chase after other gods. (See Jeremiah 2, Ezekiel 16 and Hosea 9).
- She dominates peoples, multitudes, nations and languages.
- She dominates the kingdom with the 7 heads and 10 kingdoms.
- She will be hated by the 10 kingdom with the 7 heads and 10 kingdoms.
- She is responsible for innocent blood, those who bore testimony to Jesus.
- She is also a great city who rules over the kings of the earth.
- She has become home for demons and evil spirits.
- The kings of the earth commit adultery with her, and the merchants of the earth grow rich from her excessive luxuries.
- The whole world is intoxicated by the fruit of her labor.
- She has great riches, wealth and splendor.
- She thinks she cannot be defeated, she says I am not a widow, I will never mourn.
- When her destruction comes, the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn because no one buys their cargoes any more.
- Every sea captain, and all who travel by ship, the sailors, and all who earn their living from the sea, will stand far off and throw dust on their heads, weep and mourn.
- Her merchants are the world’s great men.
For almost 2,000 years people have been trying to figure out who "Mystery Babylon the Great" is. Each characteristic of Mystery Babylon the Great must be fulfilled before she can be positively identified. If we compare each of her characteristics to the current world superpower, most if not all fit the United States of America. As we consider these characteristics we should be mindful that this description is from Yahweh's perspective, not ours.
Could the USA be replaced by another superpower before the kingdom of the Antichrist finally defeats "Mystery Babylon the Great?" Possibly, but that would mean that another superpower must arise to power and fill all these characteristics which would take many decades. Is there enough time for that to happen before the end? Let’s see, when did Jesus say the end would be near.
When we SEE all these things - the end will be near: ethnic group against ethnic group, kingdom against kingdom, famines, pestilences, hurricanes and earthquakes in various places.
Jesus called these "the beginning" which will lead to Christ's Return and His Kingdom.
The world has been SEEING all these occurring for several years.
Some say all these have been taking place throughout history. However, people have only been able to SEE all the things occurring simultaneously since the TV and Internet. Christ also said,
“when you see all these things, you know that the Kingdom of God is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened.”
The Bible describes a generation as lasting from between 38 and 47 years. Therefore, when we SEE all these things we should expect that Jesus will return in less than a generation.
By my calculations, the beginning of the "Time of the End" started in 2001.
If we are currently in the "Time of the End", it's very unlikely that another superpower will arise and fulfill all the characteristics of Mystery Babylon the Great in the next few years.
Therefore, the USA is most likely “Mystery Babylon the Great.”
For more Biblical Prophecy about this Superpower Babylon, read Jeremiah 50 and 51,
Updated: January 3, 2009
Richard H Perry